Guilt

Well, as you have probably already guessed, I like to keep people thinking! I should actually be in bed right now due to having to get up early tomorrow, but I have something on my heart and I feel I need to share. The topic for today is guilt. Now, I don't know about you, but I struggle with guilty feelings on a daily basis. Twice today I have had conversations with people on this very topic. Both times, the guilt talk led to what the bigger picture is...sin. So, here is my first question, "have you or do you struggle with guilt?" If so, (and we all do it so we need to own up to it) how do you handle the feeling? What is causing that/those feelings? Is it past sin (sexual immorality, lies, pride, hateful thoughts, revenge/unrighteous anger..fill in the blank), is it present sin, or a mixture of both? I struggle with both sometimes. Here is the next question, "have you confronted your guilt/sin?" If not, what are you afraid of? Sometimes it takes years for us to confront it and own up to it. We make excuses and try to justify our actions. Here is another question, "do you think that God is punishing you?" Guess what..He's not! Yes, I know you are probably thinking I have no right saying this because I may have no idea what you are going through, or have gone through. Well, you're right, I don't know all your circumstances. I do know, however, that God's thinking is outside of our human realm of thinking. He does not view things in a worldly manner like we do. He is waiting with open arms and ears to hear our repentant hearts. He knows what we have done, and still He loves us unconditionally. Think about that for a minute. Try and step out of this world and think about the heavenly realm. We are not of this world, so why do we allow ourselves to think worldly? There are so many instances in scripture that show us God's love, compassion, mercy, and grace. Grace is getting what you don't deserve. None of us deserve grace, yet God gives it freely. He doesn't want you to feel that guilt. He knows the hurt and the struggles you go through. My question to you now is, "will you confess to Him and ask Him for forgiveness?" More than that, will you truly accept and believe that He has forgiven you? We need spiritual markers in life. Memories and reminders that we have come broken to God and allowed Him to grow and stretch us in ways we couldn't imagine. I have struggled with feeling guilt and having the feelings of "being punished." I have been hoping, praying, and trying to have a baby for over 9 years. It is a painful process, but I have learned a lot through this experience. I have had many conversations with amazing, God-fearing women who continually lift me up. I have felt feelings of condemnation over my past sins. Guess what? That is not of God either. There is a BIG difference between conviction and condemnation. Conviction is when God shows us something that we need to confess to Him. Again, He knows what it is and He is waiting for us to quit sidestepping the issue and face it head on without fear. Condemnation on the other hand is from Satan. He doesn't know our thoughts and hearts like God, but he knows how to push our buttons. He knows what will get us feeling "guilty." Last night while reading a chapter in my Bible study book, I literally sat on the couch and cried out to God. The things written in that chapter were feelings I have had. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't want to spend the rest of my days here on earth holding on to that pain and guilt. In Psalm 26:1-3, David cries out to God and says, "Vindicate me, O Lord, for I have led a blameless life; I have trusted in the Lord without wavering. Test me, O Lord, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; for your love is ever before me, and I walk continually in your truth." Did you catch that first line? David says he has led a blameless life. David, a man who committed adultery and murder. Yet because of the grace of God, we are washed clean. When we trust Him with all that we are and we accept His forgiveness, we become blameless. Ponder that passage for a while. When you are ready, God will be there to pick up the pieces of your heart. After you have "cleaned out the basement of your heart," and accepted what He has given, make a marker/reminder for yourself. When Satan tries to throw it back at you, you can say with confidence, "I AM FORGIVEN!" Don't allow that guilt from your past or present become a barrier between you and God. Let Him show you His glory and fill you with His love. Let Him convict and correct! His word is full of people whom others condemned. In the case of the adulterous woman, the Pharisees tried to "get something on Jesus." He leans down and writes something in the sand. He then asks her, "has no one condemned you? No one sir. Neither do I condemn you; go now and leave your life of sin." What an awesome picture of grace. How often do you think about forgiving others for sins they have committed against you? Why do we think we have a right to hold forgiveness back from others? Why do we think that we are so beyond God's grace and forgiveness? In a sense, when we have that attitude, that is a form of pride. He tells us, "come to Me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest!" That is a promise of God! Seek out scriptures and place them around as spiritual markers. When you have those feelings of guilt, read Psalm 32:5, "I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity....and You forgave the guilt of my sin." He is waiting..are you willing? I pray that you will be able to be completely broken before God and allow Him to show you the areas to release to Him!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perseverance

Healing

Our Cheerleader!