Worship

It's no accident that today's topic is worship. I have been thinking about it lately. Not to mention, it was part of our sermon at church yesterday, and then today my sister told me an amazing story of awe inspiring worhsip. Here's a question: "what does worship mean to you?" Do you think of it as just singing songs or playing an intrument? Do you think of it as being in prayer..perhaps even constant prayer? I love to sing...I can't imagine not being able to sing to my Lord. One thing that I learned growing up was how to sign. I learned a lot from my Pa as he would sign every Sunday to the songs that he was lifting to God. I loved to just watch him. He didn't care what anyone else was doing..all he was interested in was worshipping the Lord. As I got older, I realized that I wanted to be in that constant state of worship. I wanted to block everything and everyone out and focus completely on God. I understood that when Pa was singing and signing, it was as if he was in a room all alone with God. What an awesome place to be! Today, my sister shared with me about what happened on Easter Sunday. My Pa has been having a difficult year with having both of his hips broken in 6 months. I know it has pained him and I know that he wants to go home to be with my grammie. He also knows however, that the Lord isn't done on this earth with him yet. Sunday was the first time since he broke his hip that he was able to go to church. Let me preface this by saying that every year when we were growing up, our church had a huge Easter production and Grammmie and Pa were part of the "living cross" which was the enormous choir that sang so beautifully. There were certain songs that would be sung for each season. Songs with phrases such as: "UP FROM THE GRAVE HE AROSE, WITH A MIGHTY TRIUMPH O'ER HIS FOES!!!" What an awesome phrase. So, they were at church. Pa is in a wheelchair due to his injury right now. He didn't stand up for the regular music. When the offering chorale started though, he exemplified the meaning and picture of true worship. Pa grabbed the pew in front of him and shakily began to stand. With his son on one side of him helping and his older sister walking across the aisle to help him on the other side; he stood and raised his arms toward heaven! The rest of the family..in tears stood beside him. He didn't care about his pain, he was moved to praise the Lord in any and all circumstances. Although I wasn't there to witness this amazing experience, I can see him and I can feel the love he has for the Lord. I began to think about my circumstances. My family has always taught me to praise God in all things. It has come a little easier for me to see the silver lining in some areas of my life. It's not always a walk in the park and I definitely have my moments of doubt. The picture that was painted for me today though, is one that I pray God will always allow me to see. To be so completely focused on the Lord that he will give me the strength to stand even against the odds and all adversity is something that I strive to do. My prayer is that no matter how old, frail, injured, and weak I may be physically; that it only makes my spirit,love, and worship for the Lord even stronger. So, here is another question, " how are you going to worship?" I pray that you will see that it's not just something to do on Sunday morning, it's a constant state of adoration, praise and love. Every time you thank God for something, you are worshipping him. When you stop and count your blessings, you are worshipping him. My challeng to you is this: write a list of things that you did today..or tomorrow, and see how you worshipped God. I bet you'll be amazed! One of my favorite memories that I carry with me, is watching Pa sign every Sunday. It made me start doing it myself..but when I watch him, I get so overwhelmed with the love that he has for the Lord. It's a beautiful thing. I pray that we will be a pleasure to the Lord in all that we do. Have a blessed night and continue to worship the one who loved you so much that he stretched out his arms and died!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Rachel,
You made me cry. I knew Daddy (Pa)went to church for Easter but I had not heard the story about him standing for the offertory. You are correct...what a picture of true worship!! When we were at his house after the morning service, I watched him struggle to move from the wheelchair to his recliner. It was a very hard physical task for him. Seeing how he struggled, I know he truly offered a sacrifice of praise to stand at church. For as long as I can remember he has always cared more about loving Jesus than what others have thought about him. I thank God for his (Pa)example and praise Him for the blessing you are by sharing this way.
Love ya,
Aunt Katie
Rachel said…
Aunt Katie,
It is just a blessing for me to be able to sit down and type what the Lord speaks to me. Having this blog has been very therapeutic. I am so grateful that we have the family that we do and the example that Pa and Grammie were to all of us. Thank you for loving me and for the continued encouragement that you give so lovingly! I love you and hope you continue to read!
Love,

Rachel
Diana said…
Beautiful. Just plain beautiful!!

Popular posts from this blog

Perseverance

Healing

Our Cheerleader!