Discipline

Today I would like to talk about discipline and disciplined. Webster's dictionary defines the word discipline (n) as: (1)training expected to produce a specific character or pattern of behavior.(2)Controlled behavior resulting from such training. (3) A state of order based on submission to rules and authority. (4) Punishment intended to correct or train. (5) A set of rules or methods. It defines disciplined (adj) as: possessing or indicative of discipline. Now, where am I going with this you may ask? Well, this week as I was praying about what to write on here next, God answered me clearly with at least four references to discipline and/or being disciplined. He showed me something in my own personal quiet time in my devotional, through a friend, through my memory verse in His word, and through actions I have been taking this week. I realized this week that not only did I need to be disciplined in my physical journey, I definitely need to be more disciplined in my spiritual walk, my finances, and my marriage. Now, some people may think I am putting too much personal information out, but when we follow God, aren't we supposed to be transparent and allow others to see Him and not us? I was speaking with a dear friend this week and as you may have learned from the previous post, I have started working out again. In order for me to succeed at this weight loss journey, I have to be disciplined. If I choose to skip a day or two, it becomes much easier to put it off and put it off until I slink right back into the place where I don't want to be. So, in order to make sure that I am remaining disciplined physically; I need to make sure that I am disciplined in spending my quiet time with the Lord. Now, it's easy to quit working out, but a lot of times it's even easier to quit spending time with Him. My first question for you is this: "How disciplined are you willing to be?" Here's another: "Have you asked the Lord to search you and know your heart; and to help you to be disciplined in areas that you need?" We are supposed to be disciples of the Lord. That means that He is training us for His kingdom and His service. If we are sitting around waiting for Him to just come and drop things in our lap, we will be waiting a long time. There are over 271 verses in the Bible about disciples and discipline. When Jesus told Peter and Andrew to "Come follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men," at ONCE they left their nets and followed Him. Did you catch that? In the next verse, Jesus sees James and John and calls to them and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed Him. Do you see the trend here? At once and immediately they followed Jesus. That is discipline. Now, Jesus didn't yell at them, He wasn't harsh, He simply said, "COME." I don't know about you, but when the Lord is speaking to me, I want to hear Him. I want to be a disciple for Him. I want others to see that God disciplines me when needed and helps me to stay disciplined when I take those steps. (Let's face it, we all need to be disciplined whether we admit it or not!) Take some time and ask Him to show you where you need to be disciplined. Is it in your marriage? Is it in your physical health? Is it in your spiritual growth? Is is in your finances? Is it simply in the way you talk to others? Allow Him to examine your heart and show you. I assure you He will. I pray that you will allow Him to discipline you and keep you focused. Have a wonderful evening!
Blessings!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perseverance

Healing

Our Cheerleader!